Posts tagged US Open Cup
Congratulations to Sporting Kansas City for winning the 2012 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup, the first for the state of Kansas.
US Soccer brings us the highlights:
Tonight the Seattle Sounders take on Sporting Kansas City in the Final of the 2012 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. Will it be a four-in-a-row for Seattle, or will Sporting bring Kansas its first championship in their first appearance in the final since their 2004 win?
Major League Soccer previewed the match with members from both teams:
Tonight the sixteen remaining teams in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup face off and with so many Major League Soccer teams getting knocked out last week, tonight’s mix of teams is really what makes the Cup spectacular:
- Cal FC (USASA) vs. Seattle Sounders FC (MLS)
- Charlotte Eagles (USL-PRO) vs. San Antonio Scorpions (NASL)
- Chivas USA (MLS) vs. Carolina RailHawks (NASL)
- Colorado Rapids (MLS) vs. Sporting Kansas City (MLS)
- Dayton Dutch Lions (USL-PRO) vs. Michigan Bucks (PDL)
- Minnesota Stars FC (NASL) vs. San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)
- New York Red Bulls (MLS) vs. Harrisburg City Islanders (USL-PRO)
- Philadelphia Union (MLS) vs DC United (MLS)
The work week finally concluded for the Rapids as they played two matches in four days. On Saturday the Rapids hosted Montreal in what was an absolute thriller in the final 10 minutes, then the club traveled down to St. Petersburg to play the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the North American Soccer League in the 3rd round of the United States Open Cup Tournament.
The first match of the week was absolute atrocious, as the club played out of sync from the opening whistle. The Rapids failed to gain much possession to which they are accustomed too in the first half, though they went into the half with a one goal lead from a penalty kick by Larentowicz (min 18) and a solid header by Moor (min 39). The Impact continued to pressure the Rapids in the second half by controlling the tempo of their offense and attacking the center of the Rapids back line.