Posts tagged chris wondolowski
Major League Soccer and MLS Works have released the 2013 edition of their “Don’t Cross the Line” PSA campaign with some of the league’s biggest stars participating.
Check it out:
Stay tuned Sunday after NBC Sports Network’s broadcast of Dallas vs. Portland for the premiere of their latest behind the scenes show MLS 36.
The latest in the “36″ series of shows, the program follows a player for the 36 hours prior to a critical performance. Indy Car and NHL have been previously featured in the series.
The MLS 36 series kicks off with San Jose Earthquakes forward Chris Wondolowski in the run up to July’s MLS All Star Game victory over Chelsea FC:
This week Portland saw something that has happened plenty of times before: a team on a hot streak ends up losing in the Rose City. This time the takedown was San Jose in a 2-1 win. It was a hard fought match that was nerve-wracking at the very end of the game.
Portland had goals from two people who haven’t scored a goal yet this season until last night, hometown favorite Danny Mwanga and captain Jack Jewsbury. It was a long time coming but I could see in their eyes that they were glad to get one goal under their belts — especially Mwanga. He even did a very interesting goal celebration after he scored:
The latest tally of Major League Soccer 2012 All Star Game fan voting is out and members of our Soccer Allies list top several categories:
- The top three players in text voting, Jimmy Nielsen, Chris Wondolowski, and Heath Pearce, are all allies.
- Wondolowski also tops the forwards list in online voting.
- Vancouver ally Jay DeMerit is the top defender so far in the online vote.
Soccer Ally May is off to a great start. Two teams that started off the month with no players on the list — Columbus Crew and Sporting Kansas City — each have five players represented as Soccer Allies.
Sporting Kansas City is having a match at the end of the month at which they’ll be honoring Show Me Pride in their city, and their opponents for the game are the San Jose Earthquakes. San Jose also starts off our recruitment campaign with no players on the Soccer Ally list, and hopefully a push to contact their players today can keep this recruitment month going strong.
Please help us contact Quakes players throughout the day today. Have them Tweet at us or use the #soccerally hashtag and we’ll be watching both for responses.
Cosmopolitan Magazine did a list of “Hot Soccer Players We Can’t Resist” and we polled you all last week as to where they got it right and wrong and the poll garnered more votes than any poll we’ve ever done. So here is the first half of the top ten you said they got it right.
10. Alain Rochat, Vancouver Whitecaps
9. Andrew Wenger, Montreal Impact
8. Bobby Boswell, Houston Dynamo
7. Zach Loyd (FC Dallas)
6. Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
It has been a good week in the world of the Houston Dynamo. The men in orange won their second game on the road against the San Jose Earthquakes, fans got a new look inside the stadium and the club announced that they are expecting another sell out at BBVA Compass Stadium for the May 15th game when the Dynamo take on the Portland Timbers.
Fans can also register for the annual Go for Goal 5K. This 5K is headed up by assistant coach and former player Wade Barrett. Word has it that last year’s run had some pretty hilarious moments and I will be running the 5K this year in the hope that there will be similar antics. It is scheduled for May 6th as a part of events leading up to the Dynamo’s sold out home opener on May 12th.
The Sunday Brunch will be a quick roundup of MLS scores from the weekend so far, and a look ahead to what’s coming up next.
- Vancouver 2 – Montreal 0: In his Whitecaps debute, soccer ally Sebastien Le Toux scored the first goal of the 2012 Season in the Impact’s MLS debut.
- Colorado 2 – Columbus 0: Teddy’s favorite player Quincy Amarikwa netted the second goal for Colorado continuing to prove why he deserves a spot in the Rapids’ starting lineup.
- DC 0 – Kansas City 1: Sporting walks away from RFK with three road points thanks to a stoppage time goal from 2001 Rookie of the Year CJ Sapong’s header off a corner kick.
- San Jose 1 – New England 0: 2011 League goal-scoring leader Chris Wondolowski starts the season off right with his first goal.
- Los Angeles 1 – Salt Lake 3: Edson Buddle scored the first goal in his return to MLS, but a trio of goals from Real Salt Lake broke Los Angeles’ at-home undefeated streak.
The rest of the weekend:
- Dallas vs. New York: today at 3 PM ET with the debut of MLS coverage on NBC Sports Network
- Chivas USA vs. Houston: today at 7 PM ET on Galavision
- Portland vs. Philadelphia: tomorrow at 8:30 PM ET on ESPN2